Case Law Notes
EUDO CITIZENSHIP promotes an inter-disciplinary approach to the study of citizenship in Europe, drawing upon both law and policy to inform the country reports, comparative analyses and working papers published on the website. Judicial decisions impact both the interpretation and development of citizenship law, and a selection of significant decisions from national and European courts can therefore be found in the EUDO CITIZENSHIP case law database.
The documents below offer concise summaries and substantive commentary on judgments of specific significance or interest. They supplement the information housed in the case law database, where full judgments of the cases can be found.
- Biao v. Denmark: Discrimination among nationals, Case note by EUDO-CITIZENSHIP expert Eva Ersbøll on Case of Biao v. Denmark (App. No. 38590/10) (European Court of Human Rights, 24 May 2016).
- Biao v. Denmark: discrimination among citizens? by Eva Ersbøll, an EUI Working Paper RSCAS 2014/79, discussing the Judgement of the European Court of Human Rights from 25 March 2014
- Case C-378/12, Nnamdi Onuekwere v. Secretary of State for the Home Department, Judgment of the Court of Justice (Second Chamber) of 16 January 2014, Case note by EUDO-CITIZENSHIP expert Lamin Khadar
- European Citizenship and Circular Migration, Case note by EUDO-CITIZENSHIP expert Stephen Coutts on Cases C-456/12 O & B and C-457/12 S & G (Court of Justice of the EU, 12 March 2014).
- Deprivation of citizenship in the United Kingdom: the Court of Appeal takes a narrow view of statelessness. Case note by EUDO-CITIZENSHIP expert Helena Wray on B2 v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWCA Civ 616 (United Kingdom).
- Constitutional Court confirms Austrian citizenship for children born by American surrogate mother summary by Rainer Bauböck on case "B 13/11-10" (Austrian constitutional court) date: 14/12/2011
- Case Summary and Comment: Case C-256/11, Dereci and others v Bundesministerium für Inneres comment by Anja Lansbergen on Dereci and others v Bundesministerium für Inneres date: 15/11/2011
- Non-discriminatory access to the nationality of the father protected by the ECHR: A comment on Genovese v. Malta comment by Gerard-René de Groot and Olivier Vonk on Genovese v. Malta (Application no. 53124/09, ECtHR) date: 11/10/2011
- Case C- 434-09: Shirley McCarthy v. Secretary of State for the Home Department comment by Stephen Coutts on case Shirley McCarthy v Secretary of State for the Home Department C-434/09 (ECJ) date: 05/05/2011
- Family Life and EU Citizenship: A commentary on McCarthy C-434/09 5 May 2011 comment by Helena Wray on C-434/09 Shirley McCarthy v Secretary of State for the Home Department - ECJ date: 05/05/2011
- The Zambrano case: Relying on Union citizenship rights in ‘internal situations’ commen by Anja Wiesbrock on Ruiz Zambrano v Office National de L'emploi - C-34/09 - ECJ 08/03/2011
- The Court of Justice of the European Union and Citizens of the Union: A Revolution Underway? The Zambrano judgment of 8 March 2011 comment by Elspeth Guild on case Ruiz Zambrano v Office National de L'emploi - C-34/09 - ECJ 08/03/2011
- A comment on the Ruiz Zambrano judgment: a genuine European integration comment Loïc Azoulai on Ruiz Zambrano v Office National de L'emploi - C-34/09 - ECJ 08/03/2011
- Kosovo: International Court of Justice Opinion on Independence summary by Gezim Krasniqi on case Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence in Respect of Kosovo - General List No. 141 - ICJ 22/07/2010
- ECtHR holds Slovenia responsible for the ‘Erasure’ summary by Jelena Dzankic on Kuric and others v. Slovenia - Application no. 26828/06 - ECtHR 13/07/2010
- Latvian Constitutional Court acknowledges the right of the legislature to set deadline for registration as dual citizen summary by Kristine Kruma on Latvian Constitutional Court 17/05/2010
- ECJ judgment in the Rottmann case: member states can withdraw nationality acquired by fraud if the principle of proportionality is observed summary of Janko Rottmann v Freistaat Bayern - C-135/08 - ECJ 02/03/2010